I want to pass some resources I was exposed to while attending the Military Spouse Employment Advisory Council (MSEAC) and Veteran Employment Advisory Council (VEAC) meetings in Seattle a couple weeks ago.
Both councils represent the “best of the best” across industry and partner agencies. It was inspiring to see them in action.
I learned a great deal during the MSEAC conversations. HOH put together a study in partnership with University of North Carolina Wilmington to survey military spouses and published their results in a Military Spouse Handbook.
A few notables from the study/conversation:
- Military spouse unemployment was between 20-25% in the last decade (page 2)
- Military spouses with degrees face the greatest challenges (page 4)
- 41% of spouses say companies don’t want to hire them because they may move (page 10)
- Representatives from Microsoft gave us an overview of the MSSA program, this will be opening to the military spouse community soon
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Hiring Our Heroes gave a presentation regarding their initiatives for 2018 – they plan to incorporate more discussion regarding salary negotiations into their veteran events and significantly increase their Military Spouse employment efforts
- Overview of the “Employer Roadmap” - an online reference guide created/hosted by USAA
- There was a panel discussion regarding Washington’s Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) efforts – they’re getting ready to open an AJC on base
- An interesting presentation about Veterati - an electronic mentor matching system
- Future growth of PsychArmor - Online training resources for effectively engaging the Military Community
- Also, here is the link to the MSEAC and VEAC. Local businesses could become a part of these if they choose…